Friday, February 6, 2015

A treasured treasure :)


I have been slacking on this post for over a week now! I was a little overwhelmed with valentines day orders and prepping for my first card club.  But I did play around with the Hey, Valentine set and wanted to share this little treasure chest I made for my husband.  As soon as I saw this Hey, Valentine set I knew I would make the little fishy tags with goldfish for Eli's preschool and Sunday school friends - that was a given.  Then I thought I could use those chocolate gold coins for the pirate but the candy store in town was out of them.  (They usually have everything! They've been around since 1888 - the two walls and counter are covered in big glass candy jars... Takes me back to my childhood days...)

Anyway, back on track - I remembered that Hershey's makes gold nuggets so I sent my husband to the store while I got to work on the treasure chest. I measured and cut a few boxes with the gift box punch board until I got the right size.  I folded and taped 2 sides down and the other two I rounded with the large oval punch.  Then I cut a strip that would cure over the top.



I stamped the entire box with the Handcarved background stamp and took an extra piece to make the "board" for the lock.  The lock was simple - just a half of a 3/4" circle in brushed gold cardstock and the black keyhole is from the spiral punch. I also put gold "hardware" trim around the bottom and corners of the treasure chest.  



The flap looked better tucked in behind the front piece but I didn't notice that until a week later and it's too late for new pictures! ;)

If you haven't noticed the pearls and gems yet, they are made using two pearls and two jewels stuck together.  The jewels were colored with the blendabilities. 


I made a matching pirate bag treat because the pirate is too cute not to be included!


I hope you enjoyed this like I did! I know my 2 year old Andrew enjoyed them! Good thing he left enough for me to take pictures!! 


Oops! 

Happy stamping :)
-Holly










1 comment: